Monday, August 22, 2011

A Forgotten Character

I noticed something after writing my previous post, in which I detailed inspirational characters, and I think it's time to rectify that. I missed out one of the more recent inspirations in my life, which came in a lovely graphic novel by the name of Anya's Ghost, by Vera Brosgol. Those who follow my antics on the interwebs might be well aware that I use various pictures of Anya on various websites, such as this very blog and Goodreads.

Anya is a slightly atypical teen. She's in high school, she's self-conscious about her body, she smokes, but unlike most of her peers, she's Russian and a bit of a loner. She has her best friend, Siobhan, but she's more of a rebel and I got the feeling Anya only goes along with her as much as she does out of a lack of friends, although that's not to say they're not friends. The only other Russian kid in her school is Dima, who is basically the bullied nerd. Sounds a bit familiar.
I'm not sure why she's such an inspiration. Perhaps it's just the fact I identify with her, and she realises at the end that being herself is much more important that doing what she feels should be done. I mean, yeah, I would absolutely kill to have her figure, but as a character she's one I feel a lot for. We were both bullied, although I never knew the reason for my own. We have very few friends (I think I border on the number zero, actually), we both wanted to be accepted as normal. Typical teen stuff, I guess, but the way Vera wrote and presented her inspired me a fair amount.

I suppose it's partially a case of part of me wanted to be Anya, to live her life and all that. I will admit to that. On the other hand, I sympathised for her on levels that I rarely feel with other characters. I knew aspects of what she'd gone through, I know what it's like to be alienated in a school and to not have many, if any, friends. Most of all, I know what it's like to struggle with myself, and that's what she does.

N.B. Image taken from the preview for Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol, as seen on tor.com

No comments:

Post a Comment